The next time you want to add an opulent touch to your look, look East for inspiration. This spring, a number of designers were clearly inspired by Asia, showing collections that featured a traditional Japanese garment--the kimono--and reworking it in a modern, sophisticated way. But how do you translate this look off the runway? Keep reading to find out how.
On The Runways
Characterised by boxy cuts and lightweight fabrics, the kimono jackets on the S/S 13 runways ran the gamut from deconstructed interpretations to longer robe-like styles. For example, Prada's Silk Satin Patchwork Stole ($2495), Silk Satin Patchwork Dress ($4280), Silk Knit Shorts ($725), Jewel Bracelet ($895), Silk Flower Shoes (price upon request), Nappa Stretch Leather Socks (price upon request) offered an avant-garde take on kimono dressing, while at Pucci, Creative Director Peter Dundas' gilded cover-up featured a dragon motif and was teamed with a sheer top for an alluring look.
Meanwhile, Etro and Dries van Noten's looks weren't quite so ornate. The former's Floral Kimono ($1922, 310.248.2855) and Black Judo Pants ($750, 310.248.2855) combined a structured top with wide-leg trousers for a contemporary silhouette. Dries Van Noten's nod to kimonos came in the form of the Dust Role Embroidered Robe ($2570), Black Coriann Shirt ($640), and Prudence Pants ($765), a cool mix of patterns suited for the downtown girl.
Get The Look
1. To try this runway-inspired look, start with a kimono top in a lush floral print, like RACHEL Rachel Roy's Kimono with Tassels ($129) in Porcelain Combo.
2. Wear a simple camisole underneath, like Madewell's Silk Cami ($72) in Bone.
3. BCBGMaxazria's JWNBB729 Belt ($68) cinches in your waist, creating a more flattering shape.
4. Toughen up the look with a choker. We suggest Kenneth Jay Lane's Chain Textured Bib Necklace ($106).
5. Balance out the kimono's '70s-inspired, bohemian feel by pairing it with faux leather leggings. We chose H&M's Navy Leather Leggings ($149)--yes, the navy and black colour combo works and makes this a decidedly modern look.
6. Add a pair of studded shoes, like Stuart Weitzman's Ratatat Heels ($450) in Black. The gold accents give your floral, flowy kimono robe some edge, so the resulting outfit is an insouciant mix of elements suitable for a night out on the town.