Last Saturday I was burrowing deep in my lingerie drawer and came across a high school-era relic: my very padded, very fuchsia push-up bra. Even though I hadn’t worn the physics-defying device in years, I hesitated to throw it out, which is when it occurred to me: Are push-up bras a fashion do or don’t? Rather than attempt to tackle the question myself, I conducted a rather unscientific poll of Who What Wear staffers and my family and friends.
The result? A whopping 80 per cent of people said push-up bras are a fashion don’t. Do you agree? Scroll down to read a selection of reasonings for each side, and shop bras of every style.
- “Do. I think it can add a little extra something. If it looks natural, it can make a v-neck t-shirt or sweater more flattering.”
- “Do. A little padding is nice if you are on the smaller side.”
- “Do. As long as you can’t tell you’re wearing one. It’s all about proportions, so if it makes the outfit look better, then it’s a do.”
- “Don’t. I like girls that are natural. No fakes please.”
- “Don’t. Lacy bras for life!”
- “Don’t. It looks like it’s being forced. You shouldn’t force. You can spot a push-up bra from a mile away.”
Agent Provocateur Bobbie Embroidered Tulle Bra ($150)
We adore the Spanish-inspired flair on this embroidered unmentionable.
Kimchi Blue Lace Triangle Bra ($20)
You know what they say about the colour red …
Cosabella Underwire Bra ($68)
Cosabella bras are always the most comfortable, and we bet this pretty number isn’t an exception.
Aima Dora Margarita Push Up Bra ($50)
Push-up bras can be sweet too! Just check out this feminine floral version.
Base Range Lady Bra ($60)
We bet Ashley Olsen would be on board with this minimalist bra.
Free People Sweetheart Triangle Underwire Bra ($38)
This polka-dot bra will go with any of your black lace underwear.
Only Hearts Cou Cou Lola Open Seam Bralette ($48)
Why not make a racy addition to your lingerie drawer?
Hanky Panky Signature Stretch-Lace Soft-Cup Bra ($45)
Break out of your black-and-nude box with this vibrant blue bra.
Skivvies by For Love & Lemons Love You Knot Bondage Bra ($90)
This is the kind of bra you want to show off.
Myla London Isabella Non Padded Balconette Bra ($208)
The underwire will give you lift sans padding.
Fleur Du Mal Leopard Knit Triangle Bra ($158)
A leopard push-up bra? Probably too much. An understated leopard soft-cup bra? Sign us up.
Agent Provocateur Abbey Lace-Trimmed Silk-Blend Satin Push-Up Bra ($250)
Look no further for an out-of-this-world lift.
Are you team push-up or team lace bra? Let us know in the comments below!