Thinking back to waterproof mascaras of yesteryear makes me wince and I have to be honest and say that I haven't always been a fan. The first time I tried one I was 17, on holiday and trying to impress a fellow teenage holiday-goer by wearing makeup everywhere, including in the pool. It was such a pain to remove with my terrible cleanser that I had such sore eyes the next day. Honestly, I didn't touch one again until I started attending weddings in my twenties and it became an absolute necessity.
Luckily, since my teens, the formulas of waterproof and water-resistant mascaras have drastically improved—as have the oil-based cleansers that we need to remove them effectively. Yes, the best waterproof mascaras at the moment offer the lift, length and volume of your favourite regular mascara, but with the promise that no matter what the weather conditions, your eye look will not be compensated. I've also found that waterproof mascaras tend to crumble less in hot conditions and mean that panda eyes are never an issue, so it's become something of a go-to for me whenever I'm heading out for more than a quick shop.
If you don't know where to beginning on your quest for the best waterproof mascara, then take a look at my top picks below…
1. Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara
2. Barry M That's How I Roll Waterproof Mascara
3. Urban Decay Perversion Waterproof Mascara
4. Stila Huge Extreme Lash Mascara
5. Fenty Beauty Full Frontal Volume, Lift & Curl Mascara
6. Revlon So Fierce Big Bad Lash
7. No7 Extreme Length Waterproof Mascara
8. Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Volumising Waterproof Mascara
9. Clinique High Impact Waterproof Mascara
10. L'Oréal Paris Air Volume Mega Waterproof Mascara
11. Milk Makeup Kush Waterproof Mascara
12. By Terry Mascara Terrybly
13. E.l.f. Cosmetics Waterproof Lengthening Mascara
14. Soap & Glory Thick and Fast Waterproof Mascara
15. Diego Dalla Palma Sub-Aqueo Very Waterproof Mascara
The interesting shape of this wand is key to the application—it helps to lengthen shorter lashes in the inner corner.