Fragrance is deeply personal. In general, what smells good on one person might smell entirely different on someone else. (Thanks, pheromones!) I’m a major fragrance person, and I’m constantly churning through my massive collection of fragrances, and there are some notes that I don’t like on myself but love on others.
There is one fragrance note that I think works for nearly everyone, though, and that’s salt. If you think about it, it makes sense—our bodies have naturally occurring salts in them. Salty notes in perfume just help you get that certain je ne sais quoi. People will tell you that you smell good, but they won’t quite be able to land on why. These fragrances give your skin a certain creamy, oceanic scent that’s hard to resist. Keep reading for some of the most intoxicating salty scents out there.
1. Ellis Brooklyn Salt Eau de Parfum
2. Jo Malone London Wood Sage & Sea Salt Cologne
Key notes: ambrette seeds, sea salt, sage
This might be the antithesis of a warm, tropical day at the beach—instead, picture brisk, seaside air sweeping through cliffs. Herbal, earthy, and woodsy notes render this fragrance an electric, invigorating breath of fresh air.
3. Lancôme Idôle Aura Eau de Parfum
4. Dior Eden-Roc
5. Tom Ford Soleil Blanc Eau de Parfum
6. Floral Street Arizona Bloom
7. Maison Margiela Replica Beach Walk
8. Diptyque Do Son Eau de Toilette
9. Maison Margiela Replica Sailing Day