"Shrinking" enlarged pores can be an uphill battle at times. The truth is you can't really change the shape of your pores with one specific product. Your pore size is determined by a bunch of different factors such as genetics, age, sun exposure and skin type. But the good news is you can disguise or hide your pores if you use the right products.
Some ingredients to look for that are good for hiding pores are AHAs and BHAs, which can exfoliate, and retinoids, which can work to unclog the pores. Sunscreen will also protect your skin from sun damage, preventing your pores from seeming enlarged.
You also want to make sure you're in a good routine with cleaning your face and exfoliating—unclogging the gunk and oil will make your pores appear smaller. But don't forget to go gentle here—you don't want to scrub so hard or wash your face too much that you cause inflammation and redness.
But if you're looking for products that can make your pores seem smaller, we've compiled some highly rated options below. Just remember that at the end of the day, we all have pores. So don't stress too much if you think your pores look huge—having them is completely natural!
1. Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner
2. Medik8 Crystal Retinal 1 Serum
This retinal (a less irritating yet powerful form of retinol) is highly regarded amongst beauty editors to smooth skin texture and tighten pores. It also promotes cell turnover and targets fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration and blemishes. And if you're normally sensitive to retinol, you'll be happy to know that this one is formulated to minimize irritation. If you're new to retinoids, start with this mild formula and then work up to the stronger versions in the range. Retinoids can be irritating when you first use them, so begin by using once a week to see how your skin tolerates it.
3. Bioderma Sébium Pore Refiner Cream
4. Estée Lauder Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refresher
5. Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
This might be one of the best products of all time for acne-prone skin, and it works a treat to keep pores clear, helping them appear smaller. Use this toner once or twice a day depending on your skin's tolerance to exfoliate away dead skin cells, prevent and treat breakouts and reduce the appearance of pores.
6. It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Concentrated Derma Serum
7. Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner
8. Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser Primer
9. The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution
10. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel
11. Biossance Squalane + BHA Pore-Minimizing Toner
Biossance's toner is alcohol-free, so you know it will be gentle on the skin. It's formulated with white willow bark extract, which is similar to salicylic acid, unclogs pores, minimises excess oil and exfoliates. Plus, it has caviar lime extract to clear away dead skin cells and sugarcane-derived squalane to moisturise and soothe.
12. Perricone MD No Rinse Intensive Pore Minimizing Toner
13. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Serum
14. Lisa Franklin 7-Acid Complex Resurfacing Solution
Trust us—this exfoliating treatment will transform your skin. This pore-refining treatment is formulated with seven exfoliating and re-texturising ingredients including mandelic acid, salicylic acid and glycolic acid, which help reveal an almost poreless complexion. This is a potent formula, so you only need to use it once a week to see really impressive results.
15. Benefit The Porefessional Face Primer
16. Caudalie Instant Detox Mask
This went viral on TikTok for a reason. Leave this mask on for 10 minutes, and you'll get tighter pores and clearer skin. It's infused with grape-seed polyphenols (for antioxidant benefits), sustainably sourced clay (to clear impurities and excess sebum) and natural caffeine (to illuminate the skin).
17. Kiehl's Rare Earth Deep Pore Minimizing Cleansing Clay Mask
The Amazonian white clay in this mask absorbs excess oil and detoxifies. It also won't leave your skin dry or irritated since the formula contains aloe to soothe.
18. Dermaflash Dermapore Device
If you're prone to blackheads or congestion, this device is a must-have. It uses ultrasonic vibrations to coax blackheads and whiteheads out of pores as you pass it over the skin. If you can't get in to see you facialist for an extraction facial, this is the next best thing.
19. Clinique Blackhead Solutions 7 Day Deep Pore Cleanser & Face Scrub
Clinique's product is a three-in-one: it can act as a daily cleanser, scrub and deep-cleansing mask. No matter which way you use it, though, you'll be able to reap benefits like smaller-looking pores and oil control.
20. Kate Somerville Exfolikate Intensive Pore Exfoliating Treatment
This scrub has both chemical and mechanical exfoliants: lactic acid, salicylic acid and silica. Other ingredients include papaya, pineapple and pumpkin enzymes to enhance skin exfoliation, plus aloe vera, honey, and vitamin E to smoothe and soften.