I’m a firm believer that mascara is one of the places in your makeup routine that you absolutely do not need to invest heavily in. Some of the best mascaras I have tried and continue to repurchase have been available on the high street or when I’m doing my food shop. I have long, straight lashes, so I always curl them before applying mascara. I’ve found that the best affordable mascaras will hold the curl all day and won’t droop or crumble off. Of course, no mascara is perfect (except maybe one—we’ll get to that), so below, I’ve noted the pros and any cons with each mascara pick.
If you have short or curled lashes, look out for mascaras that have a plastic brush. These seem to work best for lengthening and gripping shorter lashes without leaving an imprint on your lid, a nightmare if you’ve already done your eye shadow or liner. Fibrous bristle brushes are great for loading volume onto your lashes. So if you are happy with the length but want them to look fluttery and full, this kind of brush is your best option.
Below are my picks of the best high-street mascaras across the board.
1. Rimmel London Lash Accelerator Endless Lengthening Mascara
This was one of the first mascaras that I actually loved. The difference it makes to the length of your lashes is incredible, and it contains a Grow-Lash Complex to nourish your eyelashes and help them lengthen sans mascara, too. It’s all about lengthening here, so not for you if you want any noticeable volume.
2. Revlon So Fierce Mascara
3. L'Oréal Paris Air Volume Mega Mascara
4. E.l.f. Big Mood Mascara
5. Nyx Professional Makeup on the Rise Liftscara
6. Maybelline Lash Sensational Sky High Mascara
7. Maybelline Colossal Curl Bounce Mascara
8. Max Factor Divine Lashes Mascara
9. No7 Intense Volume Mascara
10. L'Oréal Paris Telescopic Mascara
11. L'Oréal Paris False Lash Bambi Mascara Waterproof
12. Lacura Too Legit Mascara
13. Barry M Cosmetics Feature Length Mascara